Why do I need to protect myself?
Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the U.S., with over 11.6 million victims in 2011* There are lots of steps you can take to secure your personal information, but it’s impossible for anyone to fully protect their identity. Identity theft protection services are designed to monitor your personal data and prevent fraudulent activity before it occurs. The goal is to stop thieves in their tracks before they destroy your credit – and your good name.
It can take years to fully reverse the damages done by identity theft. Depending on the amount of damage, a lawyer may be required to deal with creditors and the overwhelming amount of paperwork. Until the legalities are sorted out, your credit will suffer and it will affect every aspect of your financial life.
What are my options?
If you’re worried about the security of your personal information, there are a few different options to consider.
- Self-Protection: You should always monitor your banking and credit card statements, and you can easily check your credit report for free each year at www.annualcreditreport.com. This is a great way to spot errors and fraudulent activity, but it may be too late to stop the damages.
- Credit Card Protection Plan: Most credit card companies will alert you to suspicious activity on your credit card account. This limited protection only applies to your credit card and still leaves you vulnerable.
- Credit Monitoring: Credit monitoring is another option and will provide 24-hour alerts whenever your credit is pulled or a new account is opened, but it still doesn’t fully protect you from fraudulent activity.
- Full Identity Protection: A few services are designed to fully protect your identity. Not only do they monitor your credit, but they provide alerts to numerous types of account activity.
Why choose LifeLock?
A leader in the identity theft protection industry, LifeLock protects your personal information, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. More than just a credit monitoring service or credit card protection plan, LifeLock offers the world’s most sophisticated surveillance technology – similar to technology employed by government intelligence agencies and large blue-chip corporations.
Not only will you be protected from credit card fraud, but you’ll get alerts whenever your personal information is used to apply for wireless services, retail accounts, utilities, mortgage loans and more. Protection starts at just $10 per month – a small price to pay for security and peace-of-mind.
$1 Million Guarantee!
If you become a victim of identity theft while you’re a member of LifeLock, LifeLock’s $1M Identity Theft Service Guarantee will dedicate $1 million to hire lawyers, investigators and consultants to fully restore your good name.
Identity Theft Statistics from:
* 2012 Javelin Strategy & Research Identity Fraud Industry Report